I started my internship at CDS (Chocolate Delivery Systems), the parent company of Make’n’Mold and Chocomaker. I work as a designer and copywriter. Most of my work is done on social media.

The first week of the internship was stressful; trying to make sure I hit every mark, always a little early, always helping in every way possible and trying never to do anything that was “off,” or wrong. Things changed pretty quickly; my boss explained that the point of the internship was to mess up. I wasn’t going to get it all perfect, and when I messed up, I should learn from it, not let it frustrate me. I realized I was over-dressing for the job; everyone was in jeans and a nice button up shirt, no ties, and no dress pants or blazers. I was somewhat out of place, so I had to go buy some jeans and acclimate, which is working out great. The hardest part of the internship was prototyping.  It’s something we never really studied and I never had to do; so I had to learn from scratch.

So far, it’s been great. My boss and the other designers are all extremely helpful. I’ve drafted 2 new résumés and had them critiqued, I’ve been given the opportunity to do copywriting for social media, and I’ve been included in a lot of the creative meetings with my creative opinions being respected and considered. Overall I love the internship; the anxiety has dissipated completely thanks to the creative and comfortable environment they’ve provided for me.