“Nervous” doesn’t make you hold a map upside down.  “Nervous” doesn’t make you walk the wrong direction after parking for five minutes before wondering why you haven’t reached your destination.  To say I was nervous about beginning my internship at Eric Mower and Associates would probably be understating the issue.  I had thoroughly enjoyed my advertising classes at school, and after having landed an advertising internship, I wanted to make a good impression.  Walking away from the building where I was to spend my semester interning was not accomplishing that goal.

As I finally located the building with time to spare, I began to settle down internally.  It helped that everyone was very nice and welcoming.  By “everyone,” I mean “everyone.”  That first day, I met every single person that was working that day in the office – at least 35-40 people.  Initially, I tried to remember everyone’s name.  Eventually, I resigned myself to the fact that everyone would have to be greeted with merely “Hi!”

Despite the failure to remember everyone’s name, I have begun to assimilate well into EMA (in my opinion).  I have put many things I learned in my advertising classes to use.  The work that I have been asked to do has been exciting, and just what I expected.  In my first few weeks, I’ve worked on in-store displays, headlines, online advertisements, brochures, and a few other items.  I’ve also been exposed to internal meetings and brainstorming sessions, getting to see the internal workings of an advertising agency.

Several weeks into my internship, I’m happy to report that I’m adjusting well.  I feel comfortable completing a good deal of the work that an advertising agency employee would receive.  I know a lot of names (I’m still working on the others).  And I no longer walk the wrong way after parking.