According to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Catholics should commit to maintaining communication with public officials and to share their support of Catholic principles.
Consider getting involved in the political process by lobbying!
Join Campus Ministry’s Social Justice Interns on their lobbying trips on Tuesday, February 11th and Tuesday, February 25th from 11:15 am to 12:45 pm to advocate for Immigration Reform, Access to Food, and the Minimum Wage Act. Contact me for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you can’t make it to your representative’s office, write a letter or call the US Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121.
Tips for Advocacy Meetings from the Ignatian Solidarity Network:
- Be Prepared: Learn about your legislator’s positions and priorities and anticipate questions that you may be asked.
- Respect Their Time: Show up on time, stick to your points, and keep the meeting concise.
- Make Clear Requests For Actions: For each issue addressed, include a clear request.
- Stay Positive: Be positive, friendly, and grateful to your legislator or their staff.
- Follow-up: After the meeting, send a thank you letter expressing your appreciation for their time.