Earth Week

Earth Day is quickly approaching, and I find myself not being very green and recycle savvy. The other day I remember throwing a water bottle into the garbage and my mom went over to the garbage can got the bottle and then lectured me on the importance of recycling. According to my mom, she recycles because she wants to save the earth.

Could you really save the earth by recycling one plastic bottle?

The answer? Why yes, yes you can. By recycling one bottle you are lowering the 80% of bottles that end up in landfills. According to National Geographic, “The recycling rate for those 29 billion bottles of water is low; only about 13 percent end up in the recycling stream where they are turned into products like fleece clothing, carpeting, decking, playground equipment and new containers and bottles. In 2005, that meant approximately 2 million tons of water bottles ended up in U.S. landfills, according to the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC) (see References 3, Question 7). Plastic bottles take centuries to decompose and if they are incinerated, toxic byproducts, such as chlorine gas and ash containing heavy metals, are released into the atmosphere.”

We should really keep recycling in mind as Earth Day comes and goes. We want to save our planet… don’t we?

What are YOUR ideas for Earth Week?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.